“Convenient Love”



For those of you who have either been in relationships or are currently in one ask yourself, “Am I in this because my heart is in it or am I in this because it is convenient for me.” I feel a lot of times people get so used to being comfortable that you just stay in a situation because it’s all you’ve known and you’re afraid to experience anything else. I am sure for those who read this it may be met with the typical “who does he think he is to ever write this” but I don’t care.

Think of it this way, a lot of us have either experienced or have had others close to us experience parents who stayed together simply because of convenience. In the end though this did not help the parties involved and in some cases had caused more unhappiness than happiness. Is that the life you want for yourself? To be with someone mostly because “well we’ve been together for 3 years” meanwhile you’ve been unhappy for 2.5 of them. 

I was once involved with this woman for 5-6 years off and on and as of October 2014 she got married. Now despite our past situationship we maintained a friendship so sometimes we would discuss certain topics. When discussing marriage she was quite honest admitting that she was only getting married out of convenience. I found it weird and did not believe her but the way she would speak on certain things it was clear that she was not happy. 

I could be wrong here but I would think your reasoning for wanting to spend the rest of your life with someone would be because you love them with everything you have inside of you. I feel like sometimes people get too caught up in wanting to tell the story of “we been together for 8 years and survived a lot” that they don’t stop and realize they may have stayed simply to tell that story and not look stupid. I feel like in the social media era, convenient love runs wild because some people are so obsessed with showing others how happy they are that they sometimes have to always keep that image up. 

Here is a pattern I have seen all too often, Step 1. Announce the relationship Step 2. Begin posting pictures with your significant other Step 3. Soon as problems arise they will begin subbing on social media which leads to a bunch of questions Step 4. Break-up and delete all pics and/or profiles on social media. Step 5. Get back together pics go back up. Now ask yourself the point of doing all that was what? All you’ve done is invite the world to your problems while also making yourself look stupid in the process. Now if you truly genuinely love the person then I get it because the heart wants what it wants but please make sure you aren’t staying simply because you have gotten too comfortable.



Comments

Popular Posts