My Top 5 Favorite Films


        1.      Juice January 17, 1992 (Starring Omar Epps and Tupac) I had no business watching this film at such a young age but everything about the film was incredible from the lingo to the fashion to the plot. To me this was an important film especially for the hip-hop culture.




        2.      Coming To America June 29, 1988 (Starring Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall) This is around the time when everything Eddie Murphy did was GOLD. Easily the funniest move i've ever seen. Eddie and Arsenio playing other roles (Eddie Murphy as Randy Watson and Arsenio as Reverand Brown were my favorite) i'll always love this movie.




        3.      The Wood July 14, 1999 (Starring Omar Epps, Taye Diggs, and Richard T. Jones) What made this dope to me was how cool I thought it was to see longtime friends look back at all the things they went through. Everyone has a crew growing up which made this movie relatable. At 13 I was already hooked but as I got older I learned to appreciate this movie more especially since I've had the same homies for almost 20 years.





        4.      Over the Top February 13, 1987 (Starring Sylvester Stallone, David Mendenhall, and Robert Loggia) I have probably seen this movie more than any other movie. When I was a child my mom or aunts would play this to keep me busy or to stop me from crying. This film is about truck driver/arm-wrestler Lincoln Hawk (Stallone) who is in a custody battle with his child Michael Cutler-Hawk's (Mendehall) Grandfather Jason Cutler (Loggia) after the child's Mother Christina Cutler-Hawk passes away. Hawk wants to win this arm-wrestling tournament to begin his trucking business but his longtime nemesis Bo Hurley (Rick Zumwalt) awaits him at the end. Best part of the film is the montage before the arm-wrestling tournament with Sammy Hagar's "Winner Takes it All" being the song that sets this off.





        5.      Do The Right Thing July 21, 1989 (Starring Spike Lee, Danny Aiello, John Turturro, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Giancarlo Esposito, and Bill Nunn) I could go on and on about this film and the issues it tackles. When I think of Brooklyn in regards to being captured on film this is the movie I think of.


Comments

Popular Posts